On Monday 02 Dec 2002 11:56 pm, dashielljt wrote:
> You'd want to do more than one tar command of the form:
> tar zcvf user1.tar.gz /home/user1/
> tar zcvf user2.tar.gz /home/user2/
> and so on.  You'd have to specify the path of user1.tar.gz like where it
> was going to go and the same for the other archive files too.

Home directories are on a seperate partition, what I want to back up is the
actual password/account list.

/etc/passwd seems to hold some of this, but it doesn't appear to show the
actual password hashes (unless cat is programmed to replace them all with a
'x').

--
"Not Hercules could have knock'd out his brains, for he had none." -
Shakespeare