On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Thiago F.G. Albuquerque wrote:

> >However, to downoad a file by telnet, capture stdout so:
> >
> >telnet hostname | tee logfile
> >uuencode remotefile remotefile
> >exit
> >tr -d "r" < logfile | uudecode
>
> Ok, I understand. But what is this 'tr -d "r"' for?

It is a typo for

tr -d "\r"

to remove the carriage returns.  Most versions of uudecode don't like
then, especially on the "end" line.  IIRC slackware had a "fromdos"
program to do it, but tr works just as well for uuencoded data - there
are no control characters in the data itself.

tr -d "r" shouldn't trash anything, but it won't do what I wanted it to,
either.  And I tested the whole thing before I put it in the mail wrong.

> Thiago
Lawson
--
---oops---