At 09:12 AM 2/23/03 -0500, Peter Howell wrote:
I've been trying to install the avifiles to allow me to turn my linux
box into a vcr.  Unfortunately, by naivety is getting me in trouble.
Here is what I've done, in what I hope is sufficient detail

Downloaded avifile-0.53.5.tar.gz and binaries-010122.zip.
[details deleted]

The current version of avifile is 0.7.32 (20030219), available for download at http://avifile.sourceforge.net/ .

The version you are trying to compile is so old that only luck would make it compatible with the current g++ compiler and its libraries. (The cross-compiler check result is just fine, BTW ... it merely confirms that you are compiling the source for the same architecture, presumably i86, that you are compiling it on.) A quick glance at the error listing is not enough to let me spot the problem, except to note that all the individual errors reported are the same in character ... the compiler objecting to attempts to cast a variable from a type to the same type ... why the compiler treats that as an error is not immediately apparent to me, to be honest.

One other general comment: the move from g++-2.95 to g++-3.02 is causing headaches everywhere, and I don't know which of them your RH system uses (to find out, start with "ls -l /usr/bin/c++" and keep folloing symlinks until you get to a real name). The newest version of avifile is written to work with g++-3.02 and its headers and libraries (libstdc++-5.something_or_other).

I'd suggest you try again with the current source, and report any problems you have with it, either here or on the avifile mailing list ([EMAIL PROTECTED]; join it at the sourceforge site listed above).