On 06-28, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Hal MacArgle wrote:
>
> Hal,
>
>  I'll guess you need sr_mod.  The following are clipped from
> modules.conf on this box, I believe they are the part that sets up the
> zip drive (I know, I used to understand how my modules.conf worked, but
> once it was all correct I didn't need to remember any more.)
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
> pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
> pre-install ide-scsi modprobe scsi_mod
>
>  However, I believe the easier method is to use `modprobe' instead of
> `insmod' - if my memory is correct, it knows enough about the
> dependencies to get them sorted.
>
> Ken

Greetings and thanks for your suggestions.. The problem with 2.4.20
is that both sr_mod and sd_mod are no longer evident in the
distribution, even though rc.modules has them listed..
..../kernel/drivers/scsi now has at least 30-40 modules with
different titles than previously.. There has got to be some docs
somewhere that will explain the changes - I hope... <grin>

Slackware9.0 is a new ball game compared to what I've been used to
with v8.0 and before.. Apparently some of the files have been carried
over from the older distributions - probably overlooked at this point
in time.. No wonder with all the complexities involved..

Anyway - Jim Hatridges' scheme on another post, accessing the drive as
/dev/hdc4, works - not needing the ide-scsi.o module.. Go figure...

The more I learn about computers the less I know... <grin> Thanks
again, and Cheers,

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 8.0   (2.4.18)
                Proprietary  Formats  Unacceptable
.