Hi James.

 >>> Greetings and - Gad Zooks.. Where did you discover the above?
 >>> Everything I've read about ZIP drives say they _must_ use scsi
 >>> emulation..

 >> SCSI emulation is needed for PARALLEL PORT and SCSI INTERFACE zip
 >> drives only - and NOT for ATAPI IDE zip drives - UNLESS you included
 >> the string "hdc=ide-scsi" as a kernel parameter. If you did that,
 >> then you told the kernel to use the ide-scsi driver to access the
 >> drive in the secondary master IDE position independent of whether
 >> such was necessary or not.

 > Doesn't scsi emulation also apply to USB Zip (and other IDE) devices
 > as well? I have an external Zip100 drive that plugs into the computer
 > via USB, and it appears under the /dev/sdaX node. It shows up as a
 > scsi device, even though it's apparently using some sort of IDE to
 > USB trickery - which makes me believe that these also use scsi
 > emulation. I could be seriously miscomprehending - an ever-present
 > danger to my semi computer-literate cognitive apparatus.

I know zilch about the USB version, which is why I specifically didn't
mention it in the above. However, from your description, the USB models
appear to the computer as being a USB-SCSI interface with a SCSI Zip
drive behind it. In that case, they would use the relevant SCSI driver.

Best wishes from Riley.
---
 * Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown.

---