Hi All & Thanks for the responses

Often simple sounding questions open complex cans of worms

In my initial thinking I believed that one could simply open the apporiate
file edit the path statement anb be on one's way.

Alas that is not so.
The files are no longer simple text files but complex program files.

So lets get to the real isue.

My root path is as follows:
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
    :/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

My user path is:
/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

Now to me the user path appears to have a few problems.
One being // instead of /, another being :: instead of :, and more important
no qt3 path.

I attempted to edit the user path by:
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
    :/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

but when I close the terminal and reopen the terminal to check the path has
reurned to its original form.

Would some one please enlightnment me as to the corrrect procedure for
changing this path.

PS: The above path statement comes from a MD 9.1 notebook. I have Md 9.1 also
set up on a desktop for testing. It has the same user path errors (to me).

Thanks
Frank