On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 13:53, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
 [snip]
> Is this procedure incorrect or what?
> Can I not set the PATH by this procedure?

Yes, it's incorrect. No, you can't set the path "PERMANENTLY" by that
procedure. If you had edited your ~/.bashrc as suggested by Ray, then
you would be happy now.

However, please be aware, if you set and export the path in a terminal
session, it does not carry over to any other terminal session. By
setting the path in ~/.bashrc (assuming you're running bash), it will be
sourced by every terminal session as it opens.

Extra credit - export is a command, and as with most other things *NIX,
case sensitive. EXPORT is *not* a command, export is.

SO... If I open a terminal window, and add/export /usr/local/bob/bin to
my path thusly:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bob/bin

Then going forward IN THAT TERMINAL SESSION, /usr/local/bob/bin is part
of my path. That PATH is *lost* the moment I close that terminal
session. If I want to have /usr/local/bob/bin in my path every time I
open a terminal window or console, then I will put that command in my
~/.bashrc, at the bottom.

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bob/bin

Then I will logout and log back in, to take advantage of the change that
I have just made to the ~/.bashrc configuration file, now and going
forward.

HTH,

.brian

--
Brian Bilbrey: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and http://www.orbdesigns.com/
    First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing,for