See below, inline.

At 09:12 AM 7/13/2003 -0400, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
Hi All & Thanks for the responses

Often simple sounding questions open complex cans of worms

In my initial thinking I believed that one could simply open the apporiate
file edit the path statement anb be on one's way.

Alas that is not so.
The files are no longer simple text files but complex program files.

What do you mean by this?

So lets get to the real isue.

My root path is as follows:
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
    :/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

My user path is:
/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

Now to me the user path appears to have a few problems.
One being // instead of /, another being :: instead of :, and more important
no qt3 path.

Actually the first two things, while definitely errors, are harmless.

I attempted to edit the user path by:
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
    :/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin

What file did you make this change in? Did you edit an existing line or add a new one? If the second, did you follow it by "EXPORT PATH", and are you sure that it is the *last* PATH= statement in the file?

but when I close the terminal and reopen the terminal to check the path has
reurned to its original form.

As I said last night, some config files handle only initial login shells, while others affect post-login shells. So what "the terminal" is matters to your problem, as does which file you edited. Be more exact about what "reopen the terminal" means. Did you log out, then login again, to a console (a vt)? Close, then open an xterm or eterm? Quit, then start, an ssh or telnet session?

Would some one please enlightnment me as to the corrrect procedure for
changing this path.

The statement you report adding, if followed by an "EXPORT PATH" line should work in principle. You've been tripped up by the details, but I can't say exactly where, since you didn't describe what you did in the needed detail.

You can also try adding this at the end of ~/.bashrc

        PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/qt3/bin:/usr/lib/jdk-1.4.1_01/bin
        EXPORT PATH

Then log out completely as that user and log in afresh from a vt or ssh connection or xdm screen (or other variant).

PS: The above path statement comes from a MD 9.1 notebook. I have Md 9.1 also
set up on a desktop for testing. It has the same user path errors (to me).
[old stuff deleted]