>       Hi,
> I was compiling the 2.4.18 kernel as a practice run and when I booted
> thru it I recieved a message during boottime:
> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:05.
> any clues why?

Did you copy over your /usr/src/linux/System.map file into /boot? Also,
did you build an initial ramdisk via mkinitrd? A lot of times that last
step is overlooked but is necessary because it loads the initial drivers
needed to mount the hard disk partitions.

> I run the Debian woody release.
> also when I boot thru my working kernel, I get a message
> during boottime:
> spurious 8259A interrupt : IRQ7
> any ideas?

I just recently built my first Debian system and I get the same error,
except I think the number is different. The system was a junk testbed, so
I figured it was my piece of garbage mobo, which his a Soyo K7ADA+. Anyway,
the error doesn't seem to cause a problem other than having that annoying
message popup here and there, but I would like to figure out how to solve
it as well.