joy wrote:
Sorry to find a trivial answer to the Q. The settings were alright .
thanks a lot , Jason and Ray, All I needed to do was to to copy the
System.map as this Kernel does not use the other two System.map(s)  in
/boot (they are for kernels compiled with diff options).
But still ,I would like to get rid of the irritating
             spurious 8259A interrupt : IRQ7
message I get on Boottime.
I run an athlon 2400+ , with a biostar nforce2 mobo and the normal
peripherals, nothing out of the ordinary.

The spurious 8259A interrupt error is an incredibly common and non-dangerous error message. Most likely it is caused by the uniprocessor APIC (Advanced Programmable Interupt Conrtoller) linux code. It's really not dangerous or bad or anything. But if you really do want to get rid of it, try recompiling the kernel without uniprocessor APIC support ("Local APIC support on uniprocessors" in make menuconfig). This should get rid of the message.

A couple good references for this issue are: <http://www.linuxchix.org/pipermail/techtalk/2002-August/012697.html>

and this thread on the LKML (Linux Kernel Mailing List):
<http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2001-47/0697.html>

HTH,
Conway S. Smith