Sorry to find a trivial answer to the Q. The settings were alright .
thanks a lot , Jason and Ray, All I needed to do was to to copy the
System.map as this Kernel does not use the other two System.map(s)  in
/boot (they are for kernels compiled with diff options).
But still ,I would like to get rid of the irritating
             spurious 8259A interrupt : IRQ7
message I get on Boottime.
I run an athlon 2400+ , with a biostar nforce2 mobo and the normal
peripherals, nothing out of the ordinary.