Hi, Peter:

 You didn't mention that you had system files on /dev/hdc.
If it has been simply installed, you should be able to
copy all of your system files from your root system to
this new file system.  Then use fdisk to make it bootable.

Perhaps

mount /dev/hdc /mnt
cp -x / /mnt
umount /mnt

would work?

 I am assuming that you could then simply swap IDE connectors
on the mobo.

HTH, Chuck