At 07:32 PM 1/21/2004 -0500, Chadha, Devesh wrote:
Well my reason for not giving is that it is a public IP and does not have
any firewalls in place. This exposes my server much more to unauthorized
"visit"

Anyway...lets get down to getting this done.

I am on RH Linux 8
uname -a is Linux 2.4.18
netstat -nr gives
192.168.1.0                     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0           U
eth1
xxx.xxx.xxx.0           0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0           U       eth0
127.0.0.1                       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0
U       lo
0.0.0.0                 xxx.xxx.xxx.1   0.0.0.0                 UG      eth0

ifconfig gives me that eth0, eth1 and lo are correctly configured.

ip_forward gives a "1"

What do the gurus say???

Not being a guru -- I'm just a guy who knows something about routing and firewalling -- I need the answers to ALL of the questions I asked, not just the less than 2 of them that the information above answers.

That includes the two questions I ask below about your public IP address.

It includes examples of the tests you did and how they failed; see my prior message for the details.

And just to be clear -- can this host *itself* not connect to other hosts on the Internet, or is the problem ONLY with LAN hosts attempting to use it as a NAT'ing router?

The kernel capability that firewalls -- iptables in the case of 2.4.x kernels - is the same capability that NATs. It certainly seems that you need to NAT this connection (or if not, your setup with your ISP is suficiently unusual that you won't get meaningful help without describing it). So if you do "not have any firewalls in place", how *is* the system NAT'ing LAN hosts?

In addition to everything I asked for before, we probably need to see the output of

iptables -nvL