Hi, Devesh:

 I think 'destination host unreachable' is a routing problem.
I think that then no packets are transmitted.
If true, ping would not run and there is no ping failure.

 I think we are done with your original problem of 'ping' failure.

I am guessing, because you never reported the output of
ifconfig eth0, eth1, lo
only that they were 'configured correctly'.

Is eth0 == external network (internet?)?
Is eth1 == internal network 192.168.1.1?
If yes, why would they ping each other?
I see no reason for your internal NIC to 'talk to' your external NIC.
I see no reason for your external NIC to 'talk to' your internal NIC.

  I think the two NICs should never see each others packets without
passing through the router host.

>From your previous 'netstat -nr' report,
 from that host,
  if you 'ping -c 4 192.168.1.x'
   the host will route the packets to eth1;
  if you ping any other address
   the host will route the packets to eth0.

 OBTW, when I

ping -I eth0 192.168.1.1
ping: bad interface address 'eth0'

 is what I get.  I do have an eth0 device.     :-|

HTH, Chuck