On Saturday 07 February 2004 17:09, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> At 04:19 PM 2/7/2004 +0100, pa3gcu wrote:
> [...]
>
> >Using the default installed 2.4.22 kernel from slack-9.1.
> >Remove ALL ALSA modules (if they are loaded)
> >Then all that should be nessasary is;
> >modprobe via82cxxx_audio
> >The dependancies should not be a problem as in
> >/lib/modules/2.4.22/modules.dep the following is defined.
> >
> >/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/via82cxxx_audio.o.gz:
> >/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.o.gz \
> >         /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o.gz
>
> Richard -- In a separate message, Peter reported having trouble with
> modprobe. It got me wondering if Slackware doesn't automatically run depmod
> when doing "make modules_install" ... or maybe during boot/init.
> Slackware's init setup is so different from other major distros, this seems
> at least possible to me ... and it would explain Peter's success with
> insmod but failure with modprobe. I wondered if you knew.

Slackware is no different to any other distro when it comes to using programs
like 'make' to compile a kernel, the command 'make modules_install' ends with
the following, unless of course one tells 'make' to do otherwise in the
Makefile of the kernel source.

if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.22-ac4-3; fi
Where "linux-2.4.22-ac4-3" is your kernel version and EXTRAVERSION.

I rather think the problem Peter is having is because he is copying Redhat
modules into another kernel version, or at least thats the way i ""quickly""
read his mail.
IMHO Peter is experimenting, he is using modules from another distro, i would
not even recomend using modules from another kernel version, let alone
another distro.
He possably after copying those modules to the destination dir, did not do;
depmod -a
If he did i am sure he would have gotten a lot of error messages about,
"Unresolved symbols".

I suggest Peter uses the default installed kernel 2.4.22 from slackware 9.1
and try what i said, i can assue folks it will work IF they follow my words
to the "TEE", after all it works for me.

On top of all that, if Peter wants he can have a copy of my presant .config
file from which he can then see just what i compile into and as modules for
my system considering i have one of these dam chipsets that just does not
work properly like the folks at ALSA think.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/