On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, smertz wrote:

I have a new computer I installed Linux on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant), it has one of those all-in-one card readers on it. I have made mountpoints as root as follows for my thumb, Compact flash and secure digital drive.

mkdir /mnt/thumb
mkdir /mnt/cf
mkdir /mnt/sd

Now when I tried to mount the Thumb (USB) drive I got an error # mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/thumb
mount: /dev/sda2 already mounted or /mnt/thumb busy.

So what have I done wrong? I'm thinking sda2 is wrong, but don't know why?

df -h shows the following

[root localhost mnt]# df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                    183G  2.9G  171G   2% /
/dev/sda1              99M   19M   76M  20% /boot
none                  247M     0  247M   0% /dev/shm
[root localhost mnt]#

I haven't used RH for a couple of years--before the days of autmounting stuff, or at least toward the beginning of that trend. Isn't 4 the very latest release? Distros that have come out in the last year or so, especially those that use the 2.6.x kernel, seem to all be using some sort of virtual filesystem and often do automounting of inserted media and mass storage devices. Might not your RH version be one of these? Did you recently post something indicating your distro is using LVM? I'm guessing the system automounts that drive when you insert it. Have you searched around the system for indications that it's already mounted and/or its mount point? I'd kind of doubt that with such a recent distro you'd have to do any manual mounting. But this is somewhat circumstantial: as I said, I haven't used RH for a couple of years or so (since 7.3).

James