Ray Olszewski wrote:
At 02:35 PM 4/7/2005 -0600, smertz wrote:

I have a new computer I installed Linux on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant), it has one of those all-in-one card readers on it. I have made mountpoints as root as follows for my thumb, Compact flash and secure digital drive.

mkdir /mnt/thumb
mkdir /mnt/cf
mkdir /mnt/sd

Now when I tried to mount the Thumb (USB) drive I got an error # mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/thumb
mount: /dev/sda2 already mounted or /mnt/thumb busy.

So what have I done wrong? I'm thinking sda2 is wrong, but don't know why?

df -h shows the following

[root localhost mnt]# df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                     183G  2.9G  171G   2% /
/dev/sda1              99M   19M   76M  20% /boot
none                  247M     0  247M   0% /dev/shm
[root localhost mnt]#

You don't tell us anything about your hardware, so any responses really are largely guesses. From the df output you show above, I'd infer that sda is a physical hard disk of some type.

The card reader, then, is more likely sdb than sda, so I'd be trying sdb1 or sdb2 for the thumbdrive. Each possible device will have a different sdb* value, and figuring oout which is which is largely guesswork ... unless you're lucky enough to have a kernel with the sort of USB support for hotplugging that tells you where things connect to (in my experience, output to the console.

See what "more /proc/scsi/scsi" tells you about what the kernel *thinks* is connected. Please include this info if you need to post a followup.

This is the last few lines from dmesg. Based on this how would one mount if I have made the mountpoint of /mnt/thumb

SCSI device sdc: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 02 00 00 00
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: sdc1
Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
USB Mass Storage device found at 4

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant)

$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi Attached devices: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00 Vendor: ATA Model: ST3200822AS Rev: 3.02 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05 Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00 Vendor: eM Model: Bay Reader Rev: 1.00 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Thanks