On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:03:21 -4
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Pine and the INternet
>
> Is anyone using PINE with a dial-in line to the internet. Something with a
> dynamic address?
>
> I find I can send Email OUT only with PINE but can't pick any up. Does this
> mean I need a static ip address before this will work?

You need fetchmail for that.

Fetchmail comes down to two things: 1) a ~/.fetchmailrc file that is chmod
600 and 2) running 'fetchmail'

The ~/.fetchmailrc file should contain line(s) like this:

poll mail.isp.com proto pop3 username john pass secret

Then 'chmod 600 ~/.fetchmailrc' and run 'fetchmail'. Then watch your mail
come in...

(there is also a fetchamilconf program for X, but you need to get python
for that (http://www.python.org) with the __tkinter option compiled in,
and I found that quite hard to setup... and you can very easily live
without fetchmailconf.)

   Karel Bemelmans, Narfum Inc.
   Home of the Belgian Punkrockers

  [-- Contact --] -->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  [-- Website --] -->  http://www.narfum.org

   Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash
   simultaneously...