On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, mgillman wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, James wrote the Linux newbie list thusly:

[snip]

> > no, it means you need to collect mail off the mail server first. I use
> fetchmail.

> No this isn't true.  You need to set up your inbox in Pine Setup thusly:
> {your.mailsever.name/pop3}INBOX
>
> I imagine that if you had an IMAP server you would replace the pop3 with
> IMAP.
>
> Anyway it works for me at this point, doesn't remove mail from the server
> but that is ok for now.

Pine works really well with an IMAP server, but not so well with a POP
server. I think that in the Pine FAQ, they tell how to access a POP server
but explain its shortfalls... you don't get updates on new mail arriving
in your inbox while you're in a session, and you must be online to read
and reply to messages.

If you have a dedicated phoneline and aren't paying per-minute fees for
your Internet access, then there's really no harm in using Pine standalone
to access your email, but otherwise, the best solution is to employ a
fetchmail-like utility to retrieve your messages on your behalf.

James Clifford         | http://www.tripod.com/~MrBobo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |