Kenneth Stephen a écrit:
> This is the linux-newbie mailing list FAQ. It is still under construction.
> Table of Contents
> 1. Emergency help
> -----------------
>
> 1.1 Help! I can't remember my root password!
> 3: At lilo prompt type Linux 1

What if booted without Lilo ?

> 1.7 <Ctrl-C> doesnt kill my command. My session is hanging. How do I terminate
> my command?
> the process you are trying to kill. The second column on the relevant line is
> the process id. Now do a 'kill -9 <process id>'.

Maybe add "kill -15 <proc id>" and some advice about the "kill" command
first, at least "kill -l". "kill -9" is thz LAST OF THE LAST solutions.

> 2. Linux Installation
> ---------------------
>
> 2.1 I heard of something like it's bad to put some things past the 1024th
> cylinder. What are those things?
> it is called your root partition. It should not lie beyond the 1024th partition

read : "1024th cylinder" :-)

> because some PC BIOSes have trouble booting that far up.

> 2.4 I use Win95. Can I use LILO?
> I. See the Linux+Win95 HOWTO.
> II. Some people claim that the HOWTO is incorrect, and that Win95 reinstalls
> itself on the MBR unpredictably. Many other people think this not true.

It IS true. Not a question of opinion. And it's predictable : No means
to escape this "feature" of Lose95...

> The FAQ itself has no opinion.
> Personally, if you use Win95 I recommend either loadlin, or (more strongly)
> a bootdisk.

Agreed ! And for "insiders", there is also a "Linux95" program which
starts Linux directly from th Win95 desktop :-)

> 2.6 How do I get Linux to recognize memory above 64mb.
> In your /etc/lilo.conf, put a line like:
> append="mem=##M", where ## is the size of your RAM in megabytes or
> append="mem=##k", where ## is the size of your RAM in killobytes.

Add a warning : NEVER indicate MORE ram than you really have.

> 2.8 How does one create a boot disk?
> Put a diskette in, say, a: and do
> dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 bs=8192
> rdev -R /dev/fd0 1

I know what a: means in dos. But in Linux ???

> 3. How do I....?
>
> 3.6 Why won't my winmodem work in Linux?
> WinModems don't work with Linux. They require all sorts of software that
> hasn't been ported, and probably never will, so take the modem back to the
> store and get a decent modem.

I'll follow this advice. Just a question of time and/or $$$... :-)

   *   *
    \ /
 *-- * --*
    / \    This was TMTM (The Megabyte Text Magician)
  /                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 /              http://www.globenet.org/periph
/

-"Since I have dual boot, Win95 has become much more stable"
-"That's what YOU think. In reality since, sometimes you happen to
  shutdown Lose95 before the GPF does it for you..."