On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Karel Bemelmans wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Gevaerts Frank wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:24:53 +0200 (MET DST)
> > From: Gevaerts Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: Jerome Tan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: strategy for Linux

> > > Not that they make software completely incompatible... but
> rather, they keep
> > > on promoting the use of SDKs... haven't you notice it? If all programming
> > > stuffs will switch from OpenGL to DirectX for standard, all
> games will only
> > > run on Microsoft platforms.
> > >
> > Or rather, that they keep changing their SDK's
>
> What are SDK's ?
>

> Karel

Software Development Kits (SDKs).  Basically they are programmer
interfaces or APIs (Application Programmer Interfaces) that allow
programmers to write programs for a system without having (or in the
case of proprietary systems like M$ stuff, being allowed) to know how
the underlying system works.  The SDK/API presents a simplified
set of functions (or classes in OOP) that the application programmer
can use access the functionality of the system.

They are both useful and limiting at the same time.  And if the
company is constantly changing a proprietary SDK and
obsoleting/deprecating their previous SDKs as M$ does then the
developer who wants to use the SDK ends up spending lots of time and
resources just trying to understand and keep up with the moving
target.

Hope that makes sense,

Marcus