Your isp probably has some X-philers running it.  They can call the mail
server whatever they want. They should have told you when you subscribed
otherwise you would never have gotten your email.

>   This stuff never
> ceases to mystify and amaze, especially when you succeed at
> something.

I agree :-)

> Thanks to all for the good help.  Incidentally I downloaded the Pine
> Tech notes from the Univ.of Washington site.  They gave substantially
> the same explanation.

I am thrilled to help! I am still pretty new to Linux and still asking a
lot of questions myself so it is really nice to be able to answer a few
for a change.

> Another great discovery re Pine for me:
>       Enable the alternate editor in your config file.  Then when
> Pico is not enough, do a ^_ and go to emacs and edit your message
> properly.

Oh cool.  I didn't know that.

>       Now here's another question re Pine:  Is it possible to
> immediately save your inbox (en toto) to your own machine rather than
> one message at a time?  I get lots of mail, and before I can deal with
> it all I've lost my connection, and may not be able to get back for a
> while.  Some of these ISP's are too busy, you know.

Wow, first I would recommend getting an isp that doesn't drop you before
you can get your mail...that sucks!  As far as POPing all of your mail
at once in pine....uh, I'm afraid I am not sure.  I am still just
playing with Pine myself.  Sorry :-(

Scott