According to Karl F. Larsen: While burning my CPU.

>       It is true Red Hat has GUI config devices that once your used to
> them it is fine. But then you never learn about the Unix plumbing system.

Well just a litte info, Slackware also has the same sort of GUI config
devices as you call them, they are just not so well know as those which are
in Redhat, { setup - netconfig } are very handy and powerfull tools under
Slackware.

There is another very handy tool, pkgtool for installing software.

[ Dribble deleted ]

>       I have Red Hat 5.1 loaded on 2 computers. It loads fine after you
> learn how to use that wierd partition tool! It loads a win-95 looking X
> manager and it does come up in Xwindows. If that had happened when I first
> tried Linux, I would have never learned how to run a unix system.

The same window managers are on both Slackware and Redhat, its just that one
system defaults to a certain window manager and the other to another.

> But Red Hat is for people who want to USE a computer, not learn.

Nope, in my opinion Redhat, Slackware and Debian are ALL the same "basicly",
its just that they ALL have different ways of installing and booting, then
the old word "Linux is Linux" comes to pass.

So Redhat is no more for USE rather than learn, than Slackware is, you dont
have to use ANY install mechanisum such as RPMS or pkgtool, there is always
good old "tar.gz".

     Now where did i unpack that last tar-ball!!!!!.

--
Regards Richard.