On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, hitchhiker wrote:

> agreed...
> anyone posting questions on this list PROBABLY (IMHO) ought to be using
> something along the lines of Red Hat.

I don't know. I never used Red Hat so I'm not sure of course, but is it
possible to do basic system administration in Red Hat from the command
line ? Not everyone has or needs X. It seems to me from what I've seen on
other people's machines that Red Hat likes to put config information in
files that are easy to find for their GUI tools, but hard to find if you
want to do things manually. Of course I could be entirely wrong, but if I
am, why should an other distro be more advisable for more advanced users?

> it's when you find you don't need this list anymore that using the other
> ditro's is more adviseable.
> <grins>...as though I can really talk...I'm more of a newbie than most
> of the people here, I'm sure.

I still think of myself as a (relative) newbie. That is, I edit all my
(slackware) config files by hand (for X this gives the best possible
results, for other things it's just more convenient for me to remember
what file to edit than what tool to use to edit that setting), but I find
myself copying the network initialisation script and adapting it for some
new need (eg a temporary different IP), than learning ifconfig and route
syntax.

Frank