i got a new computer recently and i am trying to install slackware linux.
everything works great so far except in a couple areas.  first, i have
recompiled the kernal, and now i get boot messages like this:
Updating modules dependencies for linux 2.0.34
lib/modules/2.0.34/misc/ipx.o  (unresolved symbols and such error)
lib/modules/2.0.34/misc/appletalk.o  (unresolved symbols and such error)
etc...

this message wasnt there originally, but now that i have recompiled, it is there
all the time.  i tried renaming modules.dep file but it just created it again
when depmod -a is run at startup.  it did this on my old system as well.
anyway, what does this mean and how do i get rid of this?

next...
im not sure if my modem is being recognized.  i am using a pnp modem and using
isapnptools.  this worked fine for me on my old system but it doesnt on this
one.  i am using the same modem.  anyway, is there a way i can talk directly to
the port and see if the modem responds?  perhaps using echo or cat?  or is there
a term package i should use.  right now i am just trying to use the ppp-go
script to dial in but nothing happens.  is there a better dialer that i could
use other than this?  please let me know

thanks
pete