According to pete moss: While burning my CPU.

> i got a new computer recently and i am trying to install slackware linux.
> everything works great so far except in a couple areas.  first, i have
> recompiled the kernal, and now i get boot messages like this:
> Updating modules dependencies for linux 2.0.34
> lib/modules/2.0.34/misc/ipx.o  (unresolved symbols and such error)
> lib/modules/2.0.34/misc/appletalk.o  (unresolved symbols and such error)
> etc...
>
> this message wasnt there originally, but now that i have recompiled, it is there
> all the time.  i tried renaming modules.dep file but it just created it again
> when depmod -a is run at startup.  it did this on my old system as well.
> anyway, what does this mean and how do i get rid of this?

It means you have old module files lying in that directory, ones left over
from a previous compile, just delete them.
In fuchter say yes to;
Set version information on all symbols for modules (CONFIG_MODVERSIONS)
while doing make config.

> next...
> im not sure if my modem is being recognized.  i am using a pnp modem and using
> isapnptools.  this worked fine for me on my old system but it doesnt on this
> one.  i am using the same modem.  anyway, is there a way i can talk directly to
> the port and see if the modem responds?  perhaps using echo or cat?  or is there
> a term package i should use.  right now i am just trying to use the ppp-go
> script to dial in but nothing happens.  is there a better dialer that i could
> use other than this?  please let me know

cat or echo should work, if the seriel line is up.
The program minicom should also help you here, i am sure others will have
more spesific advise as i dont have such a modem.

--
Regards Richard.