According to Francisco Neira: While burning my CPU.

> At 10:35 AM 3/12/98 +0000, you wrote:
> >According to Francisco Neira: While burning my CPU.
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I installed RH 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32) a week ago and I'm really new to this.
> >> The PC is a home-brewed 486 and has a Mitsubishi-Kotobuki CR-562 CD-ROM
> >> drive connected to an Opti-16 sound card.
> >>
> >> The installation went flawlessly from the CD but everytime I attemp to
> >> mount the CD with "mount -t iso9660 /dev/sbpcd /mnt/cdrom", the screen
> >> shows several try-out message and the mount process is unaccomplished.
> >>
> >> The only way I can mount the drive is by booting-up W**95 and then warm
> >> booting Linux.
> >>
> >> How can I overcome this problem?
> >
> >Saying this without being rude is impossable, but if you read the
> >documentation it tells you what to do and HOWTO do it.
> >
> >/usr/doc/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO.gz
> >/usr/src/linux/Documentation/cdrom/sbpcd
> >
> >There have been a few mails on this subject as well, they could be
> >referanced at;
> >
> >http://www.findmail.com/listsaver/linux-newbie/info.html
> >Altho' i belive that the site still does not have a search engine.
> >
> >If all else fails contact me persoanly, i will try to help.
> >

> >> Regards,
> >>

> >> Francisco
> >>

> >--
> >Regards Richard.
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> Hello,
> Well, rude or not, what I was trying to avoid was to fiddle with C
> programs, recompiling and so. I RTFM (CDROM-HOWTO and sbpcd) and eventhough
> it mentions the CR-562 I saw no solution other than booting W95 first and
> the rebooting Linux.

Then you are;

1) Not digesting the documentation properly.
2) You do not understand English enought to understand whats written.
3) Giving up before you have even started.

There is no need to fiddle with C programs, just do what the documentation
says. The relavant parts of the CDROM-HOWTO says, in section 4.3.1;

  This driver accepts a kernel command line of the form:

  sbpcd=<io-address>,<interface-type>

  where the first parameter is the base address of the device (e.g.
  0x230), and <interface-type> is one of "SoundBlaster", "LaserMate", or
  "SPEA". See the file sbpcd.h for hints on what interface type to use.
  Using sbpcd=0 disables auto-probing, disabling the driver.

Read it yourself again and all of it, your answer is there.
Actualy i have just written the answer..

--
Regards Richard.