use "file" on a core file will tell you the name of the executable that
produced it.

 -----Message d'origine-----
De: Alvaro M. Piffaretti [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Date: jeudi 3 décembre 1998 23:22
À: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Objet: Core dumps

Hi all,

Everything I have read about states that core dumps files should be
core.prgfile where prgfile, after the dot would be the program that
caused the segmentation fault.
Well, I have two slackware installations (3.1 and 3.4) and kernels
2.0.30 and 2.0.34, but in both of them when I get a core dump
the filename is just 'core'.
The same for faulty programs written in C.
Now I am troubleshooting a core dump that I guess is from a KDE
component, and that feature could help me.
Does anyone know if there is an env. var or something like that
that could be responsible for that ?

best regards,
Alvaro