Duncan,

        My tone was not derogatory. My apologies if it seemed that way.
Once in a while I feel the urge to lecture.

        Anyway, I cant think of an offhand solution to your problem. The
best I can come up with is to change the file permissions on the 'startx'
script so that nobody but root can run X. Without an X-server running,
none of the x-client programs will work.

        The caveat here is that 'root' can start up the X server, and then
others who telnet in can then set their DISPLAY variable to that of root's
screen. Then any X client program that they run will indeed be displayed
on root's screen. But this is such an unlikely situation...

Regards,
Kenneth

There is no such thing as luck. 'Luck' is nothing but an absence of bad luck.