Well

>       Its quite obvious from your question that you havent understood
> how X-windows functions.

Spot on Kenneth... This IS the newbie list isn't it?

>       Yes, X-windows provides graphics. But this way of viewing it
> doesnt really help (even though it is perfectly correct). A better way of
> viewing it would be to think of it as a networking protocol that allows
> the transfer of graphics primitives.

hmm, well my question was actually more concerned with how I stop
users running startx when they are logged into the linux box, I don't
want to provide a graphical interface to an account via Win PC
telnet, I just want to allow telnet access for Pine, g++ etc.

Do you know how to configure telnet ?
Or at least redirect the output from 'the transfer of graphics
primitives' away from the consol screen.
e.g -> /dev/null for example.

What I don't want is a window to an account opening on the Linux box.

Cheers
Duncan.