Hello, First it was my friends now it's mine.
I am a recent convert to LINUX.
Here also MICROSOFT is bugging me.
The problem is that i have a
133 MHz AST Branded Machine
ATI Mach64 Card with 1Mb VGA Card Ram.
and the MOUSE is ALAS made by MICROSOFT(MICROSHIT).
The problem is, it is a PS/2 Auxilliary mouse and is connected on the
keyboard controller.
The mouse is working fine with gpm.
Sometime ago when i had RedHat 5.1 it was working fine but sometime the X
Server crashed giving the message cannot open mouse.
Now i have SLACKWARE 3.5(2.0.34) and when i startx
the X crashes saying that cannot open mouse, but this is only if
the link in XF86Config is /dev/mouse or /dev/psaux , if use according to
advice on this list /dev/gpmdata the X Server starts, everything is fine
except that the mouse does not move. Now when i change the
link in  /etc/rc.d/rc.local to gpm -t pnp -R the mouse goes in Upper
right most corner end the menu opens and nothing.

I have even tried gpm -k before running X, but that won't help.

I use LILO and have Win98, and the mouse is running fine in Win98.
At the back of the mouse is written

Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.0A
Microshit Corporation , Made in Mexico
FCC ID: C3KSMP1
Part No: 62687

I hope that will be useful
I have tried for two days to figure this out.

OK, please help as much as you can be i am a recent convert
to LINUX .

"Microsoft doesn't care about security because I don't believe they think it
affects their profit. And honestly, it probably doesn't." -Russ Cooper of NT
BUGTRAQ