According to Monty Levere: While burning my CPU.

> When I boot redhat linux 5.2 it get the following, prior to entering my
> userid:  can't write PID to "/var/lock/news/shlock375". No space left on
> device

That means what it says, There is NO space left on the device which holds
the /var directory, in other words that partition is full.

> Cat: /var/lock/news/LOCK.innwatch: no such file or directory
> Innwatch: [386} locked by []

Inn is a news server and is possably being started from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
To stop it being started at bootime delete /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S95news

--
Regards Richard.