I have Linux (kernel 2.0.30, Slackware 3.4) on a PC at home, trying to dial
in using Minicom, to the host system where I work.

I can do this quite well under Windows 95 using Reflections, but have had no
success using Linux and Minicom.  It appears to dial OK, and (judging by the
speaker sound) appears to handshake OK, and Minicom even goes online, but
I never see a connect message, and can get no response from the keyboard.

I tried playing with the modem offline, but when I queried it for
information
it responded at the rate of one character every few seconds.  (I caught
some shut-eye waiting for the response to complete... I kid you not.)

The modem is an internal Sportster 33.6, and is hooked into COM4 (cua3).

When in Windows, I noticed that the IRQ for the modem was 5, while the IRQ
for the COM port was 3, which also duplicated another COM port.  Could this
inconsistency and duplication in IRQ's be the cause of the problem?  If so,
how would I go about fixing it?

I would be grateful for any help with this.  I'm a VMS person, and I'm
enjoying learning Linux, but setting it up has been very frustrating.

--
Phil Helms
Community College Computer Services