According to Akintayo Holder: While burning my CPU.

> My RH 5.2 box stopped dual booting this afternoon, it gives an error
> message saying it is unable to open initial console. This comes just
> after the message saying it has mounted or unmounted the original root.
>
> Does anyone know what is the cause and how to fix this.

Did you change any files before you rebooted the machine, ??.

Its not all to clear from the way you describe the problem, what it can be,
however the error message, "unable to open initial console" normaly means
linux cant locate "/dev/console".

I suggest you use your "resuce disk" which you made when installing linux,
(you did make one did'nt you?) mount the root partition by hand and then
check the /dev directory on the root partition for "console", if its not
there use the MAKEDEV script to reinstall it.

I would also check /etc/inittab and make sure that has not been corrupted in
some obscure way.

--
Regards Richard.