According to Akintayo Holder: While burning my CPU.

> > > crw------- 10 0 4, 0 May 5 1998 console
> >
> Sorry I did it that way to avoid confusion.
>
> > If they are from your H/D then i rather think the first number is incorrect
> > for the console entry.
>
> A bit of a typo the actual entry is
> crw------- 1 0 0 4, 0 May 5 1998 console
>
> Not 10 - SORRY
>
> > crw-------   2 root   tty     4,   0 Feb  2 14:36 /dev/console
>
> Are you saying that this entry is more realistic, and I can assume mine
> is incorrect or corrupted and therefore the probable cause of my
> problem. Or am I still up a creek without a paddle.
> If so then a makedev should fix the problem??.

Well paddle's are handy, but normaly creek's are shallow and can be
unpredicting, ;-)

I certainly would try to recreate the device using MAKEDEV, however you will
need to remove the old one first.
If MAKEDEV fails for wome reason 'mknod' will help.

--
Regards Richard.