David,
No need to start pulling hair....

Remember that in all network problems, the simplest place to start would be
the lowest level .... the physical layer (a.k.a. your wiring). How do you
have your setup at home wired?

1.) If running both machines to a hub, are either of the ports set for
crossover (they should not be).
2.) If doing a 'peer-to-peer' setup, are you using a crossover type cable?

If you have your physical setup done right, you can step up a little bit and
make sure that you are setup correctly to route the packets from box to box.

1.) On your linux box, two commands will help although they will print the
same information; route   or   netstat -r
This should give you something containing (hopefully) verification that you
have a default route. The gateway should be your linux ip address (meaning
to get anywhere ... go out this interface).
2.) On your windows machine, you can get nearly the same information at a
dos prompt with the command   route print
Two lines are important here:
    Your default route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3
    Your local route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3
The numbers are destination, mask, gateway, and interface.

Assuming all of your setup is like you said in your post, I am guessing that
you don't have a physical path from one machine to the other. And for those
types of problems, the most common error is the wrong cable type (normal
instead of peer-to-peer or vice versa) or wrong hub/switch connectivity.

If this doesn't fix it, reply with a little more info on how you are
connecting the two boxes together on your home network.

-Kelly Pruett