Without knowing more about your ISP, I (or anyone) can't give you a
complete, step-by-step set of instructions. But the general outline is:

1. Make sure Linux can find your modem (actually, the serial port that the
modem is attached to). Make /dev/modem a symlink to the /dev/ttyS* entry
that is the real modem device. (Red Hat may have done this already during
setup.)

2. Use minicom to verify that you can connect to your modem and dial to
someplace that accepts ordinary terminal (that is, non-PPP) logins.

3. Set up pppd and its associated programs to make a ppp connection that you
can start and stop from the command line. There are many ways to do this,
and without knowing how your system is set up (are you running mainly from
the command line or from X? what windowing system & desktop are you using?
and so on) I can give you only limited advice here. See if you have scripts
called ppp-on and ppp-off, probably in /usr/sbin; they are a good, simple
way to get started setting up ppp. You'll be able to get most of the info
you need from your Win9x networking setup. pppd responds to pap
authentication requests just fine, though you'll need to set up a file with
the userid and password info (pap-secrets, I think - the PPP HowTo explains
this in more detail).

4. You can move to something fancier (diald, for example, which starts and
stops connections in the background, or an X-based app) once you understand
the basics.

For help in doing all of this, turn to the Modem HowTo, the PPP HowTo, the
man pages for minicom, pppd, and chat. HowTos vailable at the LDP (URL
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html#ss3.1) or, probably,
somewher on your system (look around in /usr/doc; exact location varies by
Linux distribution/version). The man pages are, of course, on your system.

At 07:30 PM 3/30/99 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hello, I just installed RedHat 5.2 (my first stab as a linux system) and I'm
>slowly trying to get various things to work. My biggest problem right now is I
>don't know where to even start regarding connecting to my ISP through linux.
>In Win95/98 I just connect through the standard dial-up software. My ISP uses
>PAP, if that's important. And no, my modem is not a Winmodem.  If someone
>could please outline the steps I should take in order to get online in linux,
>I would greatly appreciate it.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]