>Well you are right, John I did unzip before I removed
>the symlink and so I overwrote the 2.0.36 source
>files. Will this affect any of my devices after a reboot?

Shouldn't. The sources are only used for making new
kernel/modules. The running kernel/modules don't
use them.

>This morning when I rebooted it did not start
>up my eth0 card, and I was wondering if this had
>anything to do with it. But I also upgraded my kerneld
>from 2.1.85 to 2.1.121. Maybe this is what is causing
>the initialisation of eth0 at startup. It will not even start
>when I go into X-Win and click on activate from the Kernel
>Config menu.
If kerneld did not compile correctly or was somehow
misconfigured it might do that, but I'm not sure (I don't use it).
I don't think that would do it unless your network driver is
compiled as a module. If it is, type "lsmod" to see if you
see the driver module in there. If not, then your module
isn't loading, and that will do it. Just add "insmod 'modulename'"
to rc.modules (If you are running slackware that is, I can't remember
what it is in redhat, one of the files in /etc/rc.d/init.d I think)

If you do see your module loaded, or if your driver
is compiled into the kernel, then try typing:

ifconfig eth0 IPADDR broadcast BROADCAST netmask NETMASK
ifconfig eth0 up

See if that returns any errors.

Also, if your driver is compiled as a module, did you run
"make modules; make modules_install" when you built
your new kernel?