From: Richard Adams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 19, 1999 12:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unzipping kernel

According to Stefano Giacometti: While burning my CPU.

> In /usr/src
>

> tar zxvf linux-2.2.2.tar.gz
>

> but pay attention to the directory /usr/src/linux: it should be a LINK to
> your
> source tree. So, the steps I follow o build a new kernel are:
>
> 1) put the .tar.gz in /usr/src
> 2) rm linux (delete the symbolic link)

Why go a roundabout way of doing things when the following is so simple.

mkdir linux-2.2.2
ln -s linux-2.2.2 linux

> 3) tar zxvf linux-2.2.2.tar.gz

> 4) mv linux linux-2.2.2 (rename the new kernwl directory)
4 is no longer needed.

> 5) ln -sf linux-2.2.2 linux (re-create the symbolic link to the
>                              new kernel directory)
5 has already done.

6) RTFM as in /usr/src/linux/README

> 6) modify /etc/lilo.conf adding an entry for the new kernel
> 7) usual steps to compile the new kernel

What happens when he does not know the steps ??. He cant know the steps as
he is asking "HOWTO" unzip the file.
If i may say so !!!.
When one answers questions, one has to be carefull that one gives correct
and inclusive answers, not "presume" one knows a difficult answer when one
has asked a "simple" question.

--
Regards Richard.