On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Jonathan Jefferies wrote:

> KDE and GNOME.  I thought KDE is a window manager+
> a bunch of other things.  While GNOME is a set of executables
> which can be used under any window manager (or have I got
> that backwards).  :)

KDE is an environment.  A window manager is included in this.  By
definition, a window manager simply manages the windows, and then you have
a desk manager that handles icons and shortcuts on the desktop, and a file
manager is...well, you know.  Anyhow...KDE has all of this.  Gnome is also
an environment, but it has a little more customization  as far as the fact
that you can choose your own windows manager...  That may not seem like
much, but compared to Afterstep or Windowmaker, KDE isn't very
customizable.

Coplan                                  /"\
------                                  \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
Immortal Coil.Tracking                   X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
                                        / \
------
Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life.