The cua devices are unrelated to the ttys devices. They are related,
however, to the ttyS devices. (Since you wrote your message entirely in
lower case, I don't know if you meant ttyS or ttys in your question --
sometimes clarity is more important than style.)

/dev/cua0 and /dev/ttyS0, for example, both point to the same physical
serial device (the one that is customarily COM1 under DOS or Windows). In
olden days, the cua device was used for making outgoing connections over the
serial device, while the ttyS device was used for incoming connections. More
recently, the cua devices are deprecated, and use of the ttyS devices for
both directions is preferred.

Without know ing more about your system and the terminal app you refer to, I
can't guess why it would work with cua but not ttyS (except to guess that it
is old, or that you really did mean ttys instead of ttyS).

The ttys* devices, BTW, are terminal devices used for telnet connections, as
are the ttyt*, ttyu*, and so on.

At 02:27 PM 4/28/99 -0500, Ricardo Denis wrote:
>hi all,
>
>what is the difference between a /dev/cua* device and a /dev/ttys* device? i
>know the /dev/cua* are the serial ports (com1, com2) etc and from what i've
>read they are supposed to be related somehow to the /dev/ttys* devices but i
>am not clear on the differences. i ask because for an external modem that i
>have connected on /dev/cua1, if i refer to it as /dev/cua1 i can comunicate
>with it with a terminal program but, if i refer to it as /dev/ttys1 then the
>terminal program cannot acces the modem.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]