On Mon, 24 May 1999, JF wrote:

> I've spent the last few days setting up and tweaking my MDA, MTA and MUAs.
> (mail delivery, transfer, user agents -- for the uninitiated)  In the
> process (included below), with your help, I've now got a backup solution
> that let's me backup from windows (until I can figure ftape out). But the
> significant thing is that these 2 steps -- working mail AND backing home
> etc and root dirs -- has enabled me to switch my base of operation from NT
> to Linux finally! :-)  As of today -- due to working mail and a safety
> backup method -- I've switched from saving my mail in NT to doing so in
> Linux. :-)

Yay!  I feel special!  LOL...

> I feel like I'm over the hump now on my migration FROM Windows TO Linux!

Not yet.  E-mail, back up solutions, and FTape aren't the only things to
Linux that will mean that you can migrate.  There is a whole grand slew of
things that you have to learn yet, including when to use the root login,
how to install software, and so forth.  There are many ways to do this
depending on how the developer packages the program ;).  That will be a
fun experience for you.

> I can't say that I've mastered fetchmail, procmail and sendmail -- in fact
> fortunately I found that I don't have to master sendmail for now because
> it works fine (and it ain't easy! :-X)

I use fetchmailconf to configure fetchmail.  I didn't do anything to
procmail and changed one line in /etc/sendmail.cf on my system.  I'm
working fine -- I didn't even read FAQs on the stuff, I just asked the
local LUG for what to change for the one thing and they told me.  I
usually don't read FAQs for little things. ;)

I'm the kinda guy that knows something only after he's done it.  I may
read something, but if I don't do it, then I'll NEVER remember how to do
it right.  For example, I've now compiled the kernel to Linux (God knows
how many of them!).  I've set up the vesafb driver and the XF86_FBDev
drivers for video cards.  I've done ALL sorts of stuff.  Fun, fun, fun,
and now I can know how they work :).

> I had barely a clue to this trio before you answered my original plea for
> an OVERVIEW and told me about them! :-)  (hence the title of this thread)

I'm glad that I helped you out -- that's what I'm here for.

> I can't promise I won't have more problems with some of these things, but
> at least I can carry on with the rest of my migrating now. (key things for
> me are parallel tape backup (ftape driver -- unless a recent kernel
> includes the latest??? as was hoped), some comm program to translate a
> script to for daily downloads of stock and mutual fund closes (I'm using
> procomm now -- might be easiest to use that in linux -- I understand there
> is one), then getting my database stuff (foxpro in dosemu initially) and
> other general apps working. Then my migration will be complete.

The ftape driver is actually part of the Linux kernel.  I have no
experience with it as I don't have a tape drive for that -- however
someone else on the list may have done this?

> I want to thank you, Michael, and the others here who've contributed to
> this thread.

No problem, guy.  :)

> To follow is my reply to your latest message:
>
> On Fri, 21 May 1999, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 May 1999, JF wrote:
> > > >
> > Right.  There is a setup for others, but that gets more complicated, which
> > is totally out of my ballpark of knowledge for the moment.  When I
> > graduate from high school, I'll have the ability to get a job so that I
> > can afford to get the technical docs in paper on all of that stuff, and
> > sit down, and learn it ;).
>
> You're a smart kid. ;-)  Yeah -- the Bat book and its companion. I was
> tempted to buy it when I was in the middle of my aggravation with
> sendmail. But then I found out, with your help, was in pine -- not
> sendmail.

I'm not smart -- just persistent to learn.  :^)

> > > Is netscape using sendmail to transport?
> > >

> > By default, yes.  However, if you configured it like you would for the
> > Windows version, then the answer is no.  It depends 100% on what your
> > setup is ;-)
>
> You must mean the smtp server. If you use your isp's then it's "like
> windows" -- right? I changed mine to localhost -- so it must be using
> sendmail now.

Exactly.  I was wondering if I was a little vague when I wrote that last
email there-- I guess you got it just fine though :).

> > Here's a script that will back up all of /home and /etc:
>
> Once again you've been VERY helpful! :-)
>
> Here's how I modified it to suit my purposes of putting it on a FAT drive
> so I can back it up on tape as well:

Cool -- I'm glad it's working out for you!

> oh -- you mean a CD-rom burner (writer)? That's an idea! Are those
> cheap nowadays?

Some are if you have $$$ to burn.  Check out the prices for ours at
http://adk.hypermart.net/... since we do mailorder services you _could_
get one from ADK.  However, I'm not sure if we have the best prices.  Keep
in mind that we can special order things that aren't on the pricelist.

Michael B. Trausch
President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers
ADK Computers, Walbridge Office      E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"