On Tue, 25 May 1999, JF wrote:

> On Sat, 22 May 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I would have to weed down /home and /root to fit all this on a
floppy,
> > but I have been accumulating stuff there for years.  Maybe you don't
> > have so much.
>
> Yeah -- I don't keep downloads in there so I think my etc root and home
> dirs would all fit on a floppy. But I'm not so concerned with that as
much
> as backing them up to tape, for now, from Windows until I can get a
> complete backup system working in linux. I modified a backup script by
> Michael Trausch and posted it in this thread. Working fine.
>
> > You can use FI /dev/fd0 as a tarfile, but I recommend instead make a
> > filesystem on the floppy, and tar to a file on it.  If you access a
> > floppy as a raw device, there is no provision to skip or recover from
> > bad blocks.
>
> I can't find "FI" -- what's that?

For instance.

> And what's the disctinction here with "raw device." ... as opposed
to--?

Raw device:  the /dev/<whatever>, without benefit or protection of a
filesystem, as opposed to the file(s) on it.

I was really just trying to point out that tar is a very powerful and
flexible archiving utility.  There's an info on it if you find the
manpage forbidding.  If info tar give you the manpage, try info -f tar.

> Jamie

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]