On Fri, 28 May 1999, Jack_D wrote:

>               I have installed linux a couple of times, and had not a problem with
> boot up using LILO.  The booting was in the master boot first position,
> not master boot record.  It worked fine in tandem with DOS that I had
> on.  The latest install, somehow lilo got corrupted and with the lilo
> prompt I only get 'LIL-" with no colon to carry on booting. It hangs
> there before it has booted. This both happens with and without the
> rescue disk.!!   Could anyone have a idea.??  I can configure lilo, as
> there is NO way of booting into linux.. 8-(

If you have readhat you can get back in to linux fairly easily.
I assume you can still get to dos.

Put in your redhat CD, change to the cd drive then do the following:
cd dosutils
loadlin autoboot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdxx

where xx is where you installed linux ie "a2"

once there you need a liloconfig something like the following.

boot = /dev/hda
delay = 0
compact
vga = normal
root = /dev/hdb1
read-only
image = /boot/vmlinuz
        label = linux
other = /dev/hda1
        label = dos

Of course you'll have to adjust the root/image/other lines for your
system. Rerun lilo and sll should work again.

PS: I know this uses the master boot record but that is what you need.

Cheers,
--

* Benjamin Close
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]