>From /usr/doc/lilo-2.0/doc/User_Guide.ps:

LIL-: The descriptor table is corrupt.  This can either be caused by a
geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
installer.

I've had this problem before.  It was caused (for some reason) by
accidentally booting up from the RedHat install CD on an NT/Linux dual
boot machine.  I fixed it by recopying the Linux boot-sector to the NT
partition (a step described in the NT-Linux Dual Boot HOWTO).

I don't know how to fix it in the general case, though...

Jack_D wrote:

> Thanks for reading this..!
>
>                 I have installed linux a couple of times, and had not a problem with
> boot up using LILO.  The booting was in the master boot first position,
> not master boot record.  It worked fine in tandem with DOS that I had
> on.  The latest install, somehow lilo got corrupted and with the lilo
> prompt I only get 'LIL-" with no colon to carry on booting. It hangs
> there before it has booted. This both happens with and without the
> rescue disk.!!   Could anyone have a idea.??  I can configure lilo, as
> there is NO way of booting into linux.. 8-(
>
>                 Thanks in advance..
>
> --
> 73  Stef 'Jack' Daniels   Adelaide, Sth Australia.
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Homepage: http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/sjdaniels/Stef_VK5HSX.htm
> AX.25:  VK5HSX@VK5TTY.#ADL.#SA.AUS.OC

My public encryption key is available from
www.az.com/~drysdam/crypt/rysdam.gpg.html
and of course www.keyserver.net