According to Jack_D: While burning my CPU.

> Thanks for reading this..!
>
> I have installed linux a couple of times, and had not a problem with
> boot up using LILO.  The booting was in the master boot first position,
> not master boot record.

Just what do you define as "master boot first position" i recon it MUST have
been the MBR.

> It worked fine in tandem with DOS that I had
> on.  The latest install, somehow lilo got corrupted and with the lilo
> prompt I only get 'LIL-" with no colon to carry on booting. It hangs
> there before it has booted. This both happens with and without the
> rescue disk.!!   Could anyone have a idea.??  I can configure lilo, as
> there is NO way of booting into linux.. 8-(

Now i had this problem myself just a few days ago, i made a "silly" mistake,
yes i do make them also, what you may have done is defined something other
than /dev/hda as the "boot" device, possably "/dev/hdb". ???? In doing so
you corrupt the "map" file in /boot.

The way out is to use the rescue disk, YES it will work, BUT, do the
following;

Place the rescue floppy in /dev/fd0
boot
at the LILO: prompt type;
mount root=/dev/hdxx ro
NOTE; Where /dev/hdxx would be your device and partition.
Let the system boot up.
Now you can login as root.
cd /etc
Make sure lilo.conf is edited accordingly and rerun 'lilo -v' -v is verbose,
it will let you check to see if it returned any errors.

There is another cause of LIL- and that is a change in disk geometry in the
BIOS, now you make no mention of new disks or the likes so i presume that is
not the case.

As an extra measure here's what the lilo README says about "LIL-"

   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.

Taken from /usr/doc/lilo/README on a slackware-3.6 system.

73's.

>               Thanks in advance..
>

> --
> 73  Stef 'Jack' Daniels   Adelaide, Sth Australia.
> E-mail:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Homepage: http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/sjdaniels/Stef_VK5HSX.htm
> AX.25:        VK5HSX@VK5TTY.#ADL.#SA.AUS.OC

Regards Richard.