I have Slackware 3.1.0 on CD, which uses the 2.0.27 kernel. I currently
have a bare minimum system running on my 386-20 notebook with a 60 mb hd
and 4 mb physical ram  without any trouble. True, I had to create swap
the first thing I did, but it's been fine.

On a further note to this thread, I just purchased a 524 mb drive I plan
to transplant into the notebook. Naturally I will still have to create a
swap partition, but can this old girl really run X? I know it will be
slow, but I'm patient. :)

The machine has a monochrome VGA screen, but will put out 16 color VGA
to an external monitor.

Dave

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 01:24 PM 7/6/99 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>
> >> If you install an older distribution that has kernel 1.2.13, it should be
> >> great. I have a 386sx25 laptop with 4 MB, and I turned turbo off to save
> >> power. (OK, it isn't fast at rc5 any more then)
> >>
> >Does anyone have a copy of such an old distribution?
>
> Slackware 3.0 (October 1995) uses kernel 1.2.13. I have a copy of CD 1 (the
> CD says it's part of a 2-disk set). If you meant a spare copy, though .. I
> only have the one, and no way to copy a CD. And, alas, the archive at
> www.cdrom.com only goes back to Slackware 3.2, which I believe is the first
> one that uses the 2.0.x kernel.
> Ray Olszewski                                        -- Han Solo
> Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        J. David Kent
        MedProbe Research Services
        http://www2.froggernet.com/krownoss/

        Turning your medical records