I need some help with my PPP connection.
Using RH 6.0

When trying to follow the instructions in Linux PPP HOW TO section 14 Setting up the
PPP connection manually it goes as follows:
Using minicom in xterm window I dial my isp.
The modem dials and connects.
I am prompted for my username and I enter it and hit return.
I am prompted for my password and I enter it and hit return.
I receive the prompt "emirates-tdd> (this is normal for my ISP) I then enter "ppp def"
(w/o the quotes).
The ISP host responds: Entering PPP Session. Your IP address is 195.229.9.223 (this
changes slightly every time)
MTU is 1524
So far so good - this is what I think I should see based on my old win 3.1 connection
using trumpet winsock.
Now the problem - if this was my win 3.1 I would hit the F7 key to continue, the
trumpet window would close and I would be able to open netscape or check my e-mail.
Since I don't know the minicom equivalent to the "F7 to continue" routine I continue
on with the PPP how to mentioned above.
At the you are connected.... message I press Alt-A Q in minicom to quit the
communications with out resetting as instructed. I then enter:
pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS2 38400 &
One of the things this is supposed to do is turn on debugging so I can find this in
the "system log" later. I don't know where to look for this system log so I had to
write this all down.
The response in the terminal screen is:
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0() <--> /dev/ttyS2

Next I type "ifconfig" per the instructions and receive the following reply:
lo
Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0  UP LOOPBACK RUNNING   MTU:3924  Metric:1
etc.
Eventually this times out with the message:
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests. Connection terminated.
Connect time 0.5 minutes.
I believe this means that there is something wrong with the ppp routing per the how to
and it says I should change the default rout in my "initialization files" and the
command "route add default.." needs to be changed to "route add net..."
The problem is I have no idea how to find this route command and how to safely change
it if I do.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. It has taken me 2 weekends to get this far
and I don't have a clue what to do next.
Also, I have an icon that has appeared with the name core under it. The icon looKs
like a bomb with a dead face on it. What did I screw up this time & how do I fix it?
Thanks,
George Kenney
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Sent via Palm IIIx