hi again,
  this might be a silly question, but i'm wondering what's the best
  way to fix the clock on my computer. linux is set to GMT+TZ
  but the bios clock is already set to the correct timezone,
  so when i reboot linux i end up with the clock set at
  GMT+2*TZ.  should the bios clock be set to GMT or should linux
  leave the clock alone ? i suppose if the bios was at GMT
  linux could take care of daylight saving...

  another quasi-trivial issue is the hostname on RH6.0
  when i first installed, it didnt ask me about the hostname,
  and i've since had a few problems with various programs.
  i'm used to sunos/solaris where a simple fix to the /etc/hosts
  file solves the problem, but i've been told that this file
  is not so important on linux (?) anyway, suppose my computer
  is called "valdez" when it's on a LAN (at work), i simply
  set this name in /etc/hosts and all is well.
  however, the apache webserver on 'valdez' it only recognises
  to http://localhost/
  i notice that $HOST is undefined and $HOSTNAME is the FQDN
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  can anyone tell me how the host files should correctly
  be set up ?

my current /etc/host file contains:

127.0.0.1               localhost       localhost.localdomain
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx         [EMAIL PROTECTED]  valdez

where xxx === an internal company IP
--
susie