> Fortune has smiled upon me, giving me a brand new computer (Celeron 400, 64,
> 8Mb video, etc)... so I snagged a RH6.0 disk and did a server install.
>
> I wish that I could find, install, and configure my NIC.  It's an SMC of
> some sort, and the setup didn't detect it.  I'm rather Linux-stupid, so I
> need step by step, hold my hand instructions on how to find and/or configure
> it.

SMC cards that are supported are;

CONFIG_WD80x3
CONFIG_ULTRA
CONFIG_ULTRA32
CONFIG_SMC9194

The kernel you have installed i presume is 2.2.5-15 (standard redhat
installed kernel), now it has support for the last 3 mentioned cards above
as modules which should be in /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/net it seems that
Redhat choose not to install a module for the old 8003 cards thesedays,
afterall they are only 8 bit cards so there arent many around, only here,
i have about 10 of them lying around.

You will have to check to find out which card it is, if nessacary pull the
card out of the box and check the chips, you should see what it is.

Read the Ethernet howto found in /usr/doc/HOWTO it will tell you what to
do further.

If it is a PCI card try
cat /proc/pci
That should then tell you on what IRQ it is and what I/O address.
You should see that also at boottime from your bios report just before
the lilo prompt.

Of course if you encounter more problems ask here again and we will try to
help further.

> Any help would be great, as the HOWTO got kind of over my head.

Reading it a couple of times helps in most cases.

--
Regards Richard.